Sprucing up flooring is another common task, taken on by 24% of sellers.
- Deep clean wall-to-wall carpets.
- Buff out or refinish hardwoods, especially if there are visible scratches or stains.
- If your flooring needs replacement, consider herringbone parquet flooring
New interior paint
Most homes have natural wear and tear, a few dings on the walls or nail holes remaining where art used to hang. These imperfections are particularly noticeable in marketing photos and virtual tours. A new coat of paint gives your home a fresh and updated look for shoppers.
- Generally speaking, stick to neutrals — gray, beige, or greige walls and white trim.
- Homes with light blue bathrooms sell for a $2,793 premium.
- White is the best color for kitchens, gray is well-suited to living rooms and dark blue bedrooms appealed to buyers.
Good lighting is crucial to showcasing your home’s features, especially if your home doesn’t have a lot of natural light. Upgrading your lighting is easy and inexpensive, and it can make even small rooms feel larger. Consider these steps:
- Add new pendants in the kitchen.
- Spruce up the decor with window treatments.
Smart home technology
According to the Zillow Group Report 2020, 41% of Generation Z buyers and 47% of millennials rate smart home technology as highly important in their home search.
- Smart thermostats are a popular and relatively easy addition.
- Homes that mention smart lights in their listing description tend to be sold seven days faster than expected.
The first thing buyers will see, both online and in person, is your home’s exterior. Whether they’re viewing your exterior photo in an online listing, driving by, or attending a private tour or open house, it’s imperative that your home makes a good first impression.
- Painting your front door can have a big impact. Homes with charcoal, smoky-black or jet-black front doors sold for a $6,271 premium.
- Making the entire exterior pop with a new coat of paint can help, too. In a survey of Zillow Premier Agents, 77% recommended sellers paint their home.
Small bathroom updates
You don’t need to rip out tile or add all new fixtures to give your bathroom a face-lift. In fact, 27% of sellers make improvements to the bathroom before selling, and they can be simple fixes.
- Replace the vanity lights for a more updated look.
- Recaulk or reglaze the tub instead of replacing.
- Upgrade fixtures with a spa ambiance in mind, like putting in a rain shower head. Zillow research found that listings that include the keyword “spa-inspired” contributed to a 1.8% price premium.